Monday 11 October 2010

.Recipe Monday.

Oooh, my mouth is watering just looking at these photos!  I have always loved hummus, but since I started making my own from scratch I love it even more.  I have stocked the pantry with cans of chickpeas and find myself making this all the time.  The only problem is that Jaron doesn't like it and won't come near me for about 12 hours after I have eaten it because of my stinky garlic breath - hehe!

Hommus
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1-3 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you like garlic...I lean more towards 3!)
50ml olive oil
2 Tbs tahini paste
1 tsp ground cumin
juice of 1 lemon
water
salt & pepper

Place the chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, tahini paste, cumin and lemon juice in a food processor and process until well combined.  (Because it is such a small amount, I use the food processor attachment that came with my stick blender and it works a treat!)
Add a few tablespoons of water and process until really smooth.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  
At this point I taste the hummus and usually add a bit more lemon juice if it is a little bland.  Sometimes a little extra salt and pepper too.  Depending on the day and how juicy your lemon is, you might need to add some more water to make a smooth and "dippable" consistency.  You don't want it to be too thick, but you don't want it runny either.  Make sure you process it heaps until it is really smooth and creamy.
Yummo!  Enjoy with crackers, vegie sticks, on sandwiches or just off the spoon :)
 The boys in the house might not think it is that good, but at least the girls approve :)

3 comments:

Farah said...

It looks great... I love it but never give a try at home ... may be now because I love your daughter face expression..I t seems to be delicious.
Hope you would love to visit me at http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
and will enjoy my new post
Love

Emer said...

I love hummus too, I think its addictive. Will defo try this recipe. And your daughter looks like she is really enjoying it.

Martha said...

I've made hummus for my boys before they moved away to college. Just wondering, do you know how long tahini sauce stays good?

Related Posts with Thumbnails