Thursday 14 February 2013

.Vikings & Tractors for Baby Boy.

Welcome to the next installment of sewing for baby boy! This is bound to become a series, I'm so addicted! I've even had a little look through the baby clothes in some shops recently and walked away with my nose turned up...I can do better than that, I think! It may all come tumbling down when I actually have a baby to try these clothes on only to find that they fit horribly or are a nightmare to get on or off - hopefully not because I'm having fun!
 
When I first spotted this fabric at Crafty Mamas, I was smitten. Little orange-haired vikings - seriously?! Yes, it may be a bit of a splurge, price-wise, but not if you compare buying a baby suit from a more up-market clothing store and it is way thicker and softer than anything you will buy pre-made. Plus, where else are you going to find a suit made out of fabric as cute as this?
This little all-in-one suit comes from Ottobre Spring 1/2012 - "My Sweet Baby footed coverall". I sewed a size 50 so hopefully it will fit the baby when he is just fresh. The body looks a little wide to me, but I guess I'd rather have a bit of wriggle room rather than too tight.

A lot of work went into this one, I don't think I'll be sewing too many more. The whole thing is fully lined, it's nice, but not necessary I don't think. Next time I think I'll try it without the lining. The suit is extra thick and will be warmer, but I don't think it's really necessary from the outside (it looks good from the inside though!) as he will be wearing a singlet underneath and no doubt, be swaddled up in a blanket if we are out and about.

And there was HEAPS of binding to attach, I don't mind it too much but it was pretty time consuming to get it all cut and sewed on. I love the contrasting trim it gives though.
And another of my faithful favourite sets - from The Spring 1/2012 edition of Ottobre, "Little Houses Knit Pants" and "Bert Bodysuit with henley placket"- both in size 50cm again.

The fabrics are both from Crafty Mamas - tractors are a European knit, the grey is a plain Stella.
And look - this time I got the placket centered properly!
I left off the fold-over cuffs on these pants because I didn't have enough ribbing and really wanted to use this stripe.

And that's it for today! Don't despair - there's plenty more to come :)

10 comments:

VickiT said...

Toni, You are so talented. Your clothes are gorgeous. Vicki Travers

Karen said...

These are the most adorable baby boy clothes Toni, and I agree, designer clothes cost a lot more than good fabric and are far more common.

Kate said...

They are gorgeous! I just bought some fold over elastic (foe) that I thought I might try instead of binding to make it quicker and easier.

Mari said...

He's going to be the best dressed little baby boy :)
Love the clothes you've been sewing up for him. Almost makes me wish for another baby. Almost.

Marnie said...

These are soooo adorable. What stitch did you use to put the leg cuff bit onto the main parts of the leg? It looks fantastic

Melissa said...

Loving all these cute outfits!

Anonymous said...

What great fabric - I must get some for my not-so-baby-anymore-boy. But I would love to know where you got your binding from? And did you buy it as binding or was it just a ribbed knit that you cut into strips?

Kelly said...

Oh I am dying from the cuteness. Absolutely adorable Toni!

Hootnz said...

All these little outfits you're churning out are so delightful :)

Unknown said...

I love your blog Toni and these boys clothes are gorgeous. I might make some for my four week old lad if I can make time. Where do you get your snaps and what kind are they? I've bought the kind you hammer in at Spotlight before and they haven't been that successful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails